Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Reflection on Project

I really enjoyed the challenge of trying to create a lesson that could use technology. I just did not want to create a lesson where the technology came first, but rather my goal was to develop a lesson and think of ways in which technology could be used to support the lesson. As a result of this guiding principle, I thought showing the Web quest would not meet my goal.

I also think that 15-20 minutes is a short amount of time and I did not want to pack too much in, but rather have this be a slow paced lesson and go from there. Overall, I think I met my goals for this lesson. The lesson came first and technology was simply used to support the lesson without being the center of attention. I also attempted a lesson that required class participation because my other goal was to have the opportunity to teach. The only other class that I have taken that has required us to create lessons and deliver them ended up not having us deliver the lesson, but rather talk about how we would deliver them. I really welcomed the opportunity to practice my delivery since I don't have the opportunity to present in my current life as I had in my past life.

However, I chose not to use this opportunity to teach math because I could not figure out an easy way to use the technology with math without having to do lots of explanation. If I were to do this project again, I would have spent more time thinking about how I could have taught specifically a math lesson. I may have been weak on content, but I did not want to do too much with the short time we had.

I really enjoyed using Wiki spaces and I see how this can be a very useful and accessible tool for any classroom. I think it was the right choice for my presentation even thought it can be a challenge for having 20 people trying to edit the same document simultaneously.

Thank you for the opportunity and I am exciting about future opportunities for determining when to use technology and how to use it in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your effort to make sure that the technology served the lesson, and not the other way round. Re: teaching math with technology, I think your understanding of the correct order of things will be especially important. Even the lesson you did though has lots of math opportunities in it (currency conversion, number of rounds, budgets and travel costs, shortest path, scoring, area of the soccer field, how far a player runs in one game, etc. etc.

    jd

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. How do you see your lesson through the lens of the TPCK model?

    ReplyDelete